Recipe Blast From the Past

I've been trying to wrack my brain to remember my Mom's American Chop Suey recipe, which is really NOTHING like an oriental dish. I guess the only resemblance is that she served it over rice with canned chow mein noodles.

So, I dug around until I found one of the many recipe boxes I've collected along the way and lo and behold. The recipe wasn't there! Hunh!

But I found the recipes that my late ex mother-in-law made every summer that my oldest son just absolutely loves. So, to preserve the yellowing recipe card treasures, I give you Lorraine Stromberg's 7-Layer Lettuce Salad and her famous Vegetable Pizza.

7-Layer Lettuce Salad
1 head shredded iceberg lettuce
1/2 large white onion thinly sliced or 3 shallots chopped
1 - 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 green pepper chopped
2 c. mayonnaise
2 T. sugar
6 - 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz. cheddar cheese (grated)

Layer first five ingredients in bowl. Frost top with mayonnaise, sprinkle with sugar then bacon and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Toss just before serving.

Vegetable Pizza
2 pkgs. refrigerated crescent rolls
2 - 8 oz. cream cheese
2/3 c. mayonnaise
1 t. dill weed
1 t. dried onion
1 t. seasoned salt
Vegetables: such as black olives, green onions, green pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc.

Unroll 2 pkgs. crescent rolls on cookie sheet with sides. Pinch seams together. Bake 10 minutes at 375° until lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly.

Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, onion and seasoned salt. Mix well and spread over cooled crust. Chop up four or five different vegetables and spread evenly over the top and pat firmly into crust.


Finally, I found many recipes in my Mom's handwriting, but here's one I don't remember ever having.

Seafood Pasta Salad
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. Zesty Italian Dressing
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
2 c. corkscrew noodles, cooked al dente, cooled and drained
8 oz. chopped crab meat or shrimp or tuna - whatever seafood strikes your fancy
1 c. broccoli florets, blanched
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 chopped tomato
1/4 c. green onions

Combine mayo, dressing and cheese and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix lightly. Chill before serving.

Oh, by the way, I did find a recipe online that jogged my memory and I'm going to be trying this in the coming week or so. The recipe is for a pressure cooker, but it's the ingredients I was looking for!

1950's style American Chop Suey - http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chop-suey-retro-60s-style-199197

Comments

Popular Posts