Gage Street Cat Capers Part 3

*The Great Escape I

Shadow wandered into Inari's room, plopped down on the floor and sighed over her paws. "The fresh air feels so good, but I really want to be outside."

Inari glanced at her from her perch in the window. "You know they only let us outside while they're home. They don't want us to get hurt."

Shadow smirked, "how can I get hurt on the porch roof! The only thing to get hurt up there are the birds I catch!"

"You've only caught one," Inari pointed out.

"Caught what?" Rocx asked from the doorway. As the youngest cat in the house, she was forever following Shadow around asking questions.

"I am the greatest bird catcher in the cat kingdom!" Shadow declared. "Not only that, I'm the greatest hunter in the world!"

"Three birds and one mouse, big deal!" Inari yawned. "Squall caught a bird -- and a bigger bird than you -- at the small house we used to live in."

"Ha!" Shadow retorted. "He caught a stupid pigeon! They can barely tell their beak from their tail feathers! I, on the other hand, have caught robins, house sparrows, grackles and I even caught a mouse when I was a kitten -- and I ate it!"

"Eeeewwww!" Rocx exclaimed in horror. "You ate a mouse?!"

"It was wonderful!" Shadow sighed in remembrance.

"How do you catch a bird?" Rocx asked, her eyes wide in awe.

"If we could get on the porch roof, I'd give you some pointers." Shadow rolled on her back and looked at Rocx upside-down.

"I have an idea," Inari fairly purred as she thought it out. "They've only put one of those sliding screen things in the window and nobody's home. I bet we could push it out."

Rocx sat up straighter and looked at the black and white female. "You think so?"

Inari nodded. "Sure. We can knock out the screen, get on the porch roof, maybe even jump down to the ground."

Shadow rolled back over and eyed Inari suspiciously. "Maybe we can get the screen off, but jumping down -- no way." She turned to Rocx. "Listen kitten, it's too far to jump and there's too much danger on the ground. If we get the screen off, you stay with us on the roof."

Rocx looked adoringly at Shadow. "Anything you say. You are so brave."

"Give me a break," Inari breathed in disgust. "Well, come on." She said louder and jumped from her window perch.

Inari, Rocx and Shadow walked into Shadow's room and up on the window sill over the porch.

"If we both push out, it should fall." Inari looked at Shadow.

"No, I've tried that. When Ben goes out to smoke on the roof, he slides this part over." Shadow replied and demonstrated by pushing the inner screen slightly.

"Hey, it moved!" Rocx whispered in awe.

"Let me see that," Inari said and hooked a claw in the screen carefully. She pulled and the screen slid more.

"I think I can squeeze out now." Rocx said excitedly and put her nose in the opening, then pushed.

The screen clattered to the roof top leaving the window open and the way clear for the cats.

"Wow! We're outside, we're outside!" Rocx squeaked in delight.

"That's right," Inari coaxed. "See, it's not too far to the ground."

"Don't do it, Rocx," Shadow warned the younger cat and shot a furious look at Inari. "We're just out here for fresh air and to see if we can catch any birds!"

"Uh, oh," Inari groaned, "there's Mom and Dad's car now."

"Well, I'm staying out here and enjoy the evening." Shadow declared and looked over at Rocx.

"Me, too." The kitten piped up.

Sounds of voices and footsteps reached the porch roof from the stairway. Inari crept to the open window and peered in. She could see the two adults walk on to the upstairs landing and cross to the master bedroom.

"Wait a minute," Steve said out loud. "I thought I saw Inari outside just now."

"What?!" Shellie replied, "Did Ben leave his window open?"

The two humans walked into Ben's bedroom, noticed the open window and black and white faced cat staring at them and began to laugh. "I guess I'll have to crawl out there and bring them in," Steve sighed.

All of a sudden, a grey flash of cat zipped through the window, out the door and down the stairs, followed by the mottled black and tan streak of Rocx.

"I guess that just leaves Inari," Steve chuckled.

"I bet she's the one that put them up to it," Shellie replied. "Just hoping that Shadow or Roxs would take the opportunity to jump off and disappear."

Inari scowled from the window. "How did she figure it out!" She hissed. "Well, I am not coming in so easily." She promptly walked to the edge of the roof and sat down.

"Inari," Shellie called softly. "You don't come in now and I'll leave you out there."

Steve grinned and walked back into the master bedroom.

Inari kept her back to the window and flicked her tail obstinately.

"Okay, Nar," Shellie stated and slowly began to close the window.

"Wait, Mom!" Inari meowed loudly and scrambled for the rapidly closing window. "I was just joking!"

"Uh huh, sure you were," Shellie replied scooping the large female cat off the window sill and she slid the window completely closed.

*These posts are not in chronological order.

Comments

Popular Posts