Winter in a Small Town

This is my second winter in the small town of Somonauk, Illinois. Unlike living closer in to Chicago, where all of the roads are cleared daily, when you live out in farm land, even cleared roads become treacherous with blowing snow. Driving 30 miles back and forth to work can be difficult and oftentimes impossible. Luckily, I can work from home, so if things get really bad, I have the option of staying home.


But I must say that sitting in my 100+ year old house, looking out at the snow, man, it can't get better than that! We had a full-blown ice storm on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I was home, but both Steve and Ben had to work, which was harrowing. I was a nervous wreck until they were both home and safe. I did get a great photo the next day. Check out this pumpkin!


Last weekend, Somonauk had their Christmas Tree lighting ceremony. We didn't attend, but we knew when they hit the switch -- there was a brown-out in the town! It was actually pretty funny. But it is typical for a small town. Could be annoying for some, but I find it enchanting.

When I was growing up, it always seemed that winter was white with snow from November through March. Then when I became an adult it seemed that winters were cold, dismal, wet and just yucky. Now that I live surrounded by farm land and open fields, winter is white, cold and beautiful again. Is it that the weather changed or simply that the lack of malls, buildings, roads and subdivisions allows the weather to behave as it should naturally. Who knows? All I know is that I find living out here is like stepping back into my childhood (with all of the conveniences of modern life). I love it!

Comments

Popular Posts