Long Time Away

Well, it's been a very long time since my last post. So much has happened that I don't know where to start. First, Steve, my husband, has been diagnosed (finally!) with diabetic neuropathy. He is rapidly becoming wheelchair bound. It is very difficult to watch him wasting away and in pain all of the time -- especially since the doctors can't seem to help.

To help me cope with the stress of my job, caregiver for Steve and worrying about keeping our house, I have once again taken up my crochet hooks and have revisited my old and dear hobby of crocheting. It is a wonderful way for me to keep my hands busy, but my mind attuned to everything around me. (When I read, I tend to get lost in the stories and so don't always catch what's going on around me.) Also, I can take my crocheting anywhere -- to work (for my lunchtime pastime), at the doctor's offices (too many to count), and in the evenings when we relax with the TV or radio. I hope Steve doesn't feel that I crochet to escape him -- that is never my intention, but I need to keep my hands busy or I'll go quietly (or not) crazy!

Over the winter months, I crocheted 30+ hats for cancer chemo patients and divided the donations between Kishwaukee Cancer Center (Dekalb, IL), Central DuPage Hospital Cancer center (Winfield, IL) and Edward Hospital Cancer Center (Naperville, IL). I found it very soothing and rewarding to make these hats and drop them off. I've also made headbands which I tried very unsuccessfully to sell, bookmarks (for gifts and as a donation to our local Somonauk Library) and now I'm crocheting myself a pretty silk/bamboo tank top for this summer -- hope I get it done in time to wear it! :)

The cats have been a constant delight and aggravation. Little Mew has taken to peeing all over the downstairs. Can't seem to break her of the habit and it is getting very smelly and unpleasant in our downstairs. The constant political interplay between the cats reminds us that what we fuss and worry about is really not earth shattering. Living life to its fullest and having fun with it is what really matters.

I'm really trying to learn that lesson! :)

Comments

Popular Posts